Skip navigation links
Ground Water
Surface Water
Data & Maps
Documents & Forms
Division Offices
Skip navigation links
Abandonment of Wells 
DWR > Ground Water > Well Permitting > Abandonment of Wells

If any type of well is no longer being used, it needs to be properly plugged and a Well Abandonment Report (GWS-09) must be filed.  The Colorado Board of Examiners (BOE) of Water Well Construction and Pump Installation Contractors publishes a quarterly list of licensed well contractors throughout the state who can assist well owners in properly plugging a well.  Please refer to the BOE Rules and Regulations (2 CCR 402-2) to be compliant.

For additional information on abandonment of water rights on a well, please click here.